The Enrollment and Admissions Process
The following steps outline the admissions process. To get started, please fill out and send the Tour Interest form to the right.
- Once we have received a call or email from you, we will schedule an in-person meeting with you to tour our school.
- During the school tour you will meet with Mary Hicks, our head of school. In this one and a half hour meeting, she will provide an overview of our school and take you on a tour. During that tour you will see the school facilities, discuss Montessori practises and how Montessori supports the development of the whole child. Our tours include an opportunity to observe a classroom, as well as ample time to ask any questions you may have.
- Should you wish to then apply for admission, you will fill out the application and questionnaire, including a non-refundable $150 application fee. In this form, you can express any preferences for classroom placement or other information, like decision-making deadlines you may have. We do our best to take those preferences and scheduling constraints into account.
- We will review your application and questionnaire, determine if we have an appropriate opening in a classroom for your child and make a placement recommendation. We will also talk with you to assess your child’s readiness for enrollment, including, but not limited to, whether he or she is at least 30 months old and is independent in toileting.
- If no opening is available for immediate consideration or your enrollment is for a future enrollment cycle, we will place your application in a waiting pool. We draw from this pool as classroom openings become available, taking age and gender into consideration. If we do have an opening and your child is 30 months or older and independently toileting, we will extend an invitation for you and your child to come for a classroom visit with the guide of the recommended classroom community.
- During your meeting with the guide, you will both discuss whether the classroom is a good fit for your child and your goals for your child’s development. When parent and guide agree that the relationship is a good fit and the child has a strong likelihood for successfully assimilating into the classroom community, the school will extend an invitation for your child to enroll.
- You will then fill out our enrollment forms and return them to the school online.
- Once you return the paperwork online, the school will confirm enrollment and contact you with any necessary communications to ensure you and your child are ready to attend school at the specified start date (typically, children start school in the fall, although we do have some students join us mid-year).
The Portland Montessori School admits students of any race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School. The Portland Montessori School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies and other school-administered policies.
Would you like to come for a tour? Fill in the information below and we'll be in touch soon to schedule a time for you to come and see our school.
Tour Interest Form
"I am so happy that my son is spending his kindergarten year in a Montessori environment where his knowledge, self-control, kindness, sense of purpose, and confidence have all grown by leaps and bounds."
"We always knew that our daughter’s curiosity and tenacity led her to love exploration and learning, but since she’s been with The Portland Montessori School we've seen her develop personally in ways we hadn't imagined. She is all the better for the love, respect, friendship and encouragement she receives there."
"As the mom of identical (yet nothing alike) twins, we wanted a school community that would nurture their individual curiosities and interests and provide them the same lifelong love of learning that I have experienced as a Montessori student many years ago. We found that in The Portland Montessori School."
"What takes me aback every day is the exceptional commitment of every single staff member to the nurturing environment that this school provides. The care, understanding, and compassion that they show is and unwavering and is unique to each and every child."
"Having entered our third full year at what is now The Portland Montessori School, we have been moved by not only Mr. Curt, whom Beck looks up to a great deal and thinks is the smartest person in the world, but also by the entire staff’s commitment to each child’s development."