The Enrollment and Admissions Process
The following steps outline the admissions process. To get started, please fill out and send the Tour Interest form to the right.
- Once we have received a call or email from you, we will schedule an in-person meeting with you to tour our school.
- During the school tour you will meet with Jessica Breed, our Director of Admissions. In this one and a half hour meeting, she will provide an overview of our school and take you on a tour. During that tour you will see the school facilities, discuss Montessori practices and how Montessori supports the development of the whole child. Our tours include an opportunity to observe a classroom (during the school year), as well as ample time to ask any questions you may have.
- Should you wish to then apply for admission, you will fill out the application and questionnaire, including a non-refundable $150 application fee. In this form, you can express any preferences for classroom placement or other information, like decision-making deadlines you may have. We do our best to take those preferences and scheduling constraints into account.
- We will review your application and questionnaire, determine if we have an appropriate opening in a classroom for your child and make a placement recommendation. We will also talk with you to assess your child’s readiness for enrollment, including, but not limited to, whether they are at least 30 months old and are independent in toileting.
- If no opening is available for immediate consideration or your enrollment is for a future enrollment cycle, we will place your application in a waiting pool. We draw from this pool as classroom openings become available, taking age and gender into consideration. If we do have an opening and your child is 30 months or older and independently toileting, we will extend an invitation for you and your child to come for a classroom visit with the guide of the recommended classroom community.
- During your meeting with the guide, you will both discuss whether the classroom is a good fit for your child and your goals for your child’s development. When parent and guide agree that the relationship is a good fit and the child has a strong likelihood for successfully assimilating into the classroom community, the school will extend an invitation for your child to enroll.
- You will then fill out our enrollment forms and return them to the school online.
- Once you return the paperwork online, the school will confirm enrollment and contact you with any necessary communications to ensure you and your child are ready to attend school at the specified start date (typically, children start school in the fall, although we do have some students join us mid-year).
The Portland Montessori School admits students of any race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious and ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students at the School. The Portland Montessori School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sexual orientation, national origin, religious and ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admission policies and other school-administered policies.
Would you like to come for a tour? Fill in the information below and we'll be in touch soon to schedule a time for you to come and see our school.
Tour Interest Form
"Our son sincerely loves his guide, who shows him authentic kindness, warmth, and non-judgmental acceptance. Under her guidance, he has become a self-directed, competent, and curious learner who cares about the world and others around him."
"We've been a part of this amazing community for seven years. Not only are our children getting a fabulous education, but they receive personal care and attention every single day."
"Having entered our third full year at what is now The Portland Montessori School, we have been moved by not only Mr. Curt, whom Beck looks up to a great deal and thinks is the smartest person in the world, but also by the entire staff’s commitment to each child’s development."
"As parents, our ultimate goal is for our child to make independent, healthy and confident choices so he can be a happy and productive person wherever he is in life. We are thankful he is with Miss Jennifer's elementary class and The Portland Montessori School community, where he is developing those traits."
"The Portland Montessori School has given my children such an appreciation for learning and an extensive fund of knowledge. It has been a nurturing, appropriately challenging environment for them to reach their potential."